Sunday 6 November 2011

5 Day Progress Report

Well it's now Sunday, albeit it only just by a mere matter of 34 minutes, and as promised here's my update for the week.

As some of you are aware NaNoWriMo officially started on Tuesday the 1st of November, and the aim of that is to write a novel of 50 thousand words or more by the 30th. Giving you a grand total of 30 days in which to hit that 50k mark.

On day one I made a start on my novel Timber Varden, not expecting to hit high numbers in the word count for the day. However by the time midnight came and the updated count for that day was in place, I had written 13,585 words for that day alone.

Day two came along and the book was really beginning to flow quite effortlessly by now. I didn't write as much that day hitting only 6,414. Your sitting there thinking ONLY??? I know you are I can see the expressions on your face with my trusty hidden spy cam in this posting.

Day Three, the story took up a life of it's own adding things in that wasn't in the plot. That's OK, I could handle that, it wasn't a big issue, it didn't change the main plot outlook so we were good, we had a general understanding of each other. That day I got 10,156 words written, a nice leap up from day two. By now I'm way ahead of the targeted 1667 words a day minimum to keep on the 50k target, life is comfortable.

Day Four, by the end of this day I had discovered that a whole new chapter had to be written in pushing the other remaining chapter further down the line. What was supposed to be chapter 9 now became chapter 10 and the new chapter decided it would be 9. No changing of story line required made it simple and easy for me to deal with. On this day I reached 10,203. Better than day 2, and day 3, but day 1 still holds the highest number count in 1 24 hour period.

Day Five, this is the day that has just ended. I'm tired, word out, can just about feel my fingers on the end of my cold hands but the day has been yet another productive one. The new additional chapter filled up today, but was originally only going to be a short snippet one before 10 and turned out to be around the same standard length the other chapters had fallen into, which was around the 5k mark. Today my word count isn't as high as Days one, three and four, but certainly higher than day two with 9707.

So after Five days of pretty much non stop committed writing, only stopping for an hour at night to walk the dogs, and hour mid way for dinner, not starting until 2 in the afternoon - and not to forget the mention of - I wasn't writing every minute of the waking hours I was up. It was split to such times as 10 minutes then a break, 30 minutes there then a break or 15 minutes here then eat, or 20 minutes then break. It's been the same the last 5 days. There has been the common obvious distractions going on as well, you know the likes, parent's wanting to talk to you, friends on facebook, the general goings on in the outside world.

Anyway with 14 minutes to spare before midnight of the 5th of November, I reached and surpassed the big 50k ... ok so surpassed it by only 66 words - that still counts. However the story is not done yet, there for, I with my fellow wrimo's around the world will continue to strive and serve the writing world by continuing to work on it for as long as November shall last. I will add to it daily but I need not add such vast amounts unless I am compelled to do so.

It also means that as I have reached my target intended figure by Saturday night, I can spent most of the day on Sunday relaxing, I will do some writing so don't worry about that. I won't leave my Character drowning in a lake when he can't swim, his outcome will be decided tomorrow at some point.

Until the next progress report - KEEP WRITING!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment